Click on any image for a slideshow, scroll down for a written description . . .
The Woodstock Opera House, built in 1890 and listed on the National Register, is a centerpiece of the historic town square. The addition (or annex) is shoe-horned into a tight site and provides much needed support space for this thriving institution. The design strategy was to create a building that stands alone, blends into the streetscape and does not detract from the historic structure that is the Opera House.
The interior contains 9,000 s.f. on a complicated series of six levels. A new stair links all the levels and provides an additional means of egress from the auditorium. The new large freight elevator provides a direct connection to the stage door/street, theater workshop, provides accessibility to the stage and replaces the previous hoist system. The stage level provides expanded staging / wing space (which was almost non-existent in the original building). The mezzanine level expands the dressing room area and provides production offices. New period restrooms, which match the historic interiors of the opera house and are accessed from the upper lobby, alleviate a shortage in the building. At grade, on the square, the café acts as a multi-purpose space for a variety of functions: expanded lobby, pre- and post-function space, and an intimate performance venue.
Project Manager for the project from Design Development through construction. Acted as principal contact with the client and contractor; led the design team and performed construction administration tasks.
McBride Kelley Baurer